Thank you for your interest in the United States Army Reserve Troop Program Unit (TPU) pilot program administered by Child Care Aware® of America (CCAoA).
The Troop Program Unit child care program was created to provide authorized United States Army Reserve Soldiers with access to no-cost, hourly child care to support the unique child care needs for United States Army Reserve Families.
The pilot program is offered in every state however, only eligible to USAR soldiers assigned to units in the following locations:
- New York
- United States Army Reserve Families must meet certain criteria for participation:
- Criteria 1: Soldier is in good standing with their unit (attends drill, completes assigned tasks, Soldier is in the correct uniform).
- Criteria 2: No other adult in the household can provide care during the scheduled drill period.
And meets one of the following conditions:
- The Soldier is a Single Soldier
- The Soldier is a dual military family and spouse is drilling or deployed
- The Soldier’s spouse is working on a drill weekend
- The Soldier’s spouse is attending classes/training on a drill weekend
- Criteria 3: Child(ren) must be between the ages of 6 weeks to 12 years old.
- Child care providers participating in the TPU program must be:
- Licensed to operate a family child care home within their state (maximum of six (6) non-related children in family child care homes)
- Registered to operate a family child care home within their state (maximum of six (6) non-‘related children), where this meets DoD minimum requirements.
- Submit to annual state child care inspection from the state licensing agency.
- Submit to advanced FBI Federal Fingerprint Background Check and Child Abuse Registry Check conducted and adjudicated by their state agency for themselves, any family child care employees and all household members age eighteen (18) years and older.
- Maintain a child care liability insurance policy coverage of at least $500,000.
- Maintain a certification in first aid and infant/child Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR).
Parents, please follow the steps below
- Step One: Determine Your Eligibility
- Single Soldier, Dual Military or married Soldier whose spouse works or attends school during the drill period
- Soldier is attending drill
- The absence of an adult in the household during drill period
- Child(ren) between the ages of 6 weeks to 12 years old
- Step Three: Submit Enrollment Request
- Soldier submits completed enrollment packet to email@example.com
- CCAoA will confirm completed packet within three (3) days of receipt and send notification to Soldier
- Once enrolled, Soldier is eligible to submit request to reserve child care
- Step Five: CCAOA Identifies & Reserves Child Care for Soldier
- CCAoA will provide Soldier with providers available to provide care during the requested period
- Soldier will contact provider and coordinate care
- Soldier will contact CCAoA and confirm provider selection
- CCAoA will issue TPU reservation approval to Soldier and Provider
- Providers payment will be made directly by CCAoA to the child care provider
- Soldier must cancel confirmed reservations NLT 10 days prior day of reserved to avoid program suspension
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- How to Make a Reservation Once Enrolled
Reservations for care must be submitted no later than the 1st day of the month prior to your regularly scheduled drill month. Please submit the completed the Request for Care Form to Child Care Aware© of America (CCAoA) at USARTPU@usa.childcareaware.org or upload the request to your application. You must include a signed copy of the Commanders Verification Form and Work Schedule Verification Form/ Education Enrollment Verification Form (as needed). CCAoA will confirm receipt of your request within three (3) business days of receipt.
If assistance is needed locating a provider, CCAoA will begin to search for providers who meet eligibility requirements and have availability during the days and times requested. If you submit an eligible provider, CCAoA will work with the provider to update/complete their application to initiate your request. If CCAoA is unable to secure a reservation, you will be notified as soon as we are able to confirm no care is available, no later than two (2) weeks prior to your requested reservation date. Reservations are completed on first come, first served basis.
If you have a provider you would like to enroll in the program, please have them contact us at 1-888-270-1086 option 3.
- How to Cancel a Reservation
We understand that situations may change and so may your child care needs. You must notify CCAoA and the USAR if you need to cancel a reservation. Please submit a completed copy of the Cancellation of Child Care Request Form to CCAoA at USARTPU@usa.childcareaware.org and copy the USAR Weekend Drill Care central email box at firstname.lastname@example.org. Failure to provide notification within ten (10) calendar days will result in no show or cancellation charges for the USAR Soldier.
- When are fee assistance payments made?
Fee assistance is paid to the provider within 5 business days of Child Care Aware® of America’s receipt of the completed attendance sheets. View USAR TPU Payment Policies here.
Frequently Requested Forms
- USAR TPU Application
- USAR TPU Commander Verification Form
- Work Schedule Verification Form
- Education Enrollment Verification Form
- USAR TPU Program Request for Care Form
- USAR TPU Program Cancellation of Child Care Request
- Self Certification Form
- United States Army Reserve Troop Program Unit (TPU) Program Contact Information
- For Families
Email Address: USARTPU@usa.childcareaware.org
Fax Line: 571-544-7080
Hotline #: 1-888-270-1086
- Non-Traditional Care Provider Team
NTC Provider website: https://www.childcareaware.org/fee-assistancerespite/ntc-providers/
Email address: NTCprovider@usa.childcareaware.org
Fax Line: 571-544-7082
Hotline #: 1-888-270-1086
- For Families