Even in “normal” conditions, child care providers have high stress, highly active jobs. To ensure emotional wellness, providers need to be intentional in protecting their emotional wellness. Further, providers can help children to manage their stress by incorporating mindfulness into their daily activities.
From Child Care Aware® of America
- Supporting Children Who Are Experiencing Stress: Child Care Aware® of America (CCAoA) tip sheet that gives child care providers insight on what stress may look like and how to respond to it. Also available in Spanish.
- CCAoA (Child Care Aware® of America) Supporting Children and Caregivers During Stressful and Traumatic Events Webinar – In light of current local, national, and world events, child care professionals, families and especially children, have experienced heightened levels of stress. This webinar focuses on how to best support children in child care settings, encourage resiliency and more.
- VA Resources – view this list of resources available to Veterans experiencing emotional distress due to recent world events.
- Explore resources from Zero to Three for caregivers providing love and support for children during times of stress and trauma.
- Penn State Extension – Better Kid Care – Stress-Busting Activities for Young Children (PDF) – This downloadable resource provides strategies for teaching children how to calm down and deal with stress in a healthy way.
- AAP’s HealthyChildren.org – Parenting in a Pandemic: Tips to Keep the Calm at Home (English & Spanish) – Here are some tips from the American Academy (AAP) to help your family get through the stress of the pandemic.
- AAP’s HealthyChildren.org – Tips for Coping with a New Baby During COVID-19 (English & Spanish) – Newborns are stressful and it may feel even more isolating when you can’t see high-risk family or friends. These tips can help.
- Sesame Street in Communities – Resilience (English & Spanish) – The short video featuring Elmo is a great way to understand how to teach resilience to children.
- Sesame Street in Communities – It’s All About You (English & Spanish) – This interactive app provides tips and reminders to turn everyday moments into opportunities to rest, recharge, and reset.
- Sesame Street in Communities – Self Care (activity) (English & Spanish) – Keep these tips in mind next time you’re feeling overwhelmed.