When choosing child care, visit different types of providers, such as centers or family child care homes, before you make your decision. When you have determined which providers you want to visit, plan on the following:
- Call and schedule a tour.
- Plan on staying for at least one hour so that you can see the different activities.
- Ask to spend time specifically in the room where your child might be so that you can see how the providers work with the children.
- Ask to meet all of the caregivers that might be working with your child.
- Ask questions about the program to staff and the owner/director.
Use the checklists below when you visit a child care program to help you make the best decision for your child. Check with your local resource and referral agency regarding what additional regulations or guidelines that providers must follow when caring for your child.