Hazardous materials include explosives, flammable and combustible substances, poisons, and radioactive materials. You and your community are at risk if hazardous materials are used unsafely or released in harmful amounts. Hazards can happen during production, storage, transportation, use, or disposal of these materials. Children are more vulnerable than adults to hazardous materials exposure.
Preparing for a Hazardous Materials Incident
According to Ready.gov, there are many steps you can take to protect yourself and the children in your care in the event of a hazardous materials incident.
- Build an emergency supply kit with the addition of plastic sheeting and duct tape
- Make sure this is covered in your emergency plan
- Know how to operate the ventilation system
- Identify an above-ground shelter room with as few openings as possible.
If a hazardous materials incident occurs in your area, remember to: get inside, stay inside, and stay tuned.
- Watch our webinar, Helping Child Care Providers Prepare for Radiation Emergencies, and download the slides and handout.